Skip to content
- Tanzanite is the violet blue to blue violet variety of the mineral zoisite
- Tanzanite is mined commercially in only one area of the world: the Merelani Hills of Tanzania, which is where Tanzanite gets its name
- Tiffany & Company recognized Tanzanite’s potential as an international best seller and made a deal to become its main distributor, and promoted it with a big publicity campaign in 1968. Almost overnight, tanzanite was popular with leading jewelry designers, gemstone professionals, and collectors who had an eye for beautiful and unusual gems
- Turquoise is found only in a few places on earth: dry and barren regions where acidic, copper-rich groundwater seeps downward and reacts with minerals that contain phosphorus and aluminum
- Turquoise’s name comes from the French expression pierre tourques, or “Turkish stone.” The name, which originated in the thirteenth century, reflects the fact that the material probably first arrived in Europe from Turkish sources
- Turquoise was a ceremonial gem and a currency for Native American tribes in the southwestern US. They also used it in their jewelry and amulets. The Apaches believed that turquoise attached to a bow or firearm increased a hunter’s or warrior’s accuracy
- Turquoise has long been considered by some to be a gemstone that guarantees health, good fortune, and protection from evil
- Zircon is NOT Cubic Zirconia (cz). Zircon is a natural gemstone mined from the earth
- Many scholars believe Zircon’s name comes from the Arabic word zarkun, meaning “cinnabar” or “vermilion.” Others believe the origin of the name is the Persian word zargun, or “gold colored”
- Zircon is known for its brilliance and fire and sparkles like a diamond
- Blue Zircon was a favorite in Victorian times and were often featured in estate jewelry dating from the 1880s. Gemologist George Kunz, Tiffany’s famed gem buyer, was a notable Zircon advocate. He once proposed changing the name to “Starlite” to promote the gem’s fiery nature
- Your birthstone is personal and affordable to collect. Birthstone jewelry creates a cherished gifting experience
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.