Skip to content
- Citrine is the transparent, pale yellow to brownish orange variety of quartz
- Citrine's attractive color, plus its durability and affordability makes it the most popular yellow to orange gemstone and an attractive alternative to topaz
- Citrine is known as the “Success Gemstone” because it endorses achievement, wealth, and abundance. It promotes achievement in industry, earning it the name, “Merchant’s Gemstone.” Some have said that citrine is a gemstone that carries pleasure and cheerfulness to one who owns it
- Topaz has a wide color range that includes brown, various tone and saturation of blue, green, yellow, orange, red, pink, and purple. Colorless topaz is often treated to give it a blue color. Topaz is pleochroic, meaning that the gem can show different colors in different crystal directions. Imperial topaz is a medium reddish orange to orange-red and is one of the gem’s most expensive colors. Sherry topaz, named after the sherry wine, is yellowish brown or brownish yellow to orange. Stones in this color range are often called precious topaz.
- The top countries that produce topaz include Ouro Prêto, Brazil, and Russia's Ural Mountains
- Gemstone authorities agree that the name topaz comes from Topazios, the old Greek name for a small island in the Red Sea, now called Zabargad. Some scholars trace the origin back to Sanskrit (an ancient language of India) and the word topas or tapaz, meaning “fire.” Imperial Topaz originated in nineteenth-century Russia. Mines in the Ural Mountains were topaz’s leading source, and the pink gemstone mined there was named to honor the Russian czar. Ownership of Imperial topaz was restricted to the royal family
- The ancient Greeks believed that topaz gave them strength. In Europe during the Renaissance (the period from the 1300s to the 1600s) people thought that topaz could break magic spells and dispel anger. For centuries, many people in India have believed that topaz worn above the heart assures long life, beauty, and intelligence
- Your birthstone is personal, and affordable to collect. Birthstone jewelry creates a cherished gifting experience
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.